Okay, time to get all "AM" and have a good ol' fashioned whinge.
I have an issue with people who have no regard to the protocol and/or expectations of a social setting simply to prove a point. I'm not referring to day-to-day dress, but rather respecting the dress standards of an event or situation to which you are invited.
For example, I was watching Q&A tonight on ABC (oh la-di-da... best of a bad bunch), and on tonight's panel was a so-called "commentator" and author by the name of Guy Rundle. I'll get back to him soon.
Now, if you are privileged enough to be invited to participate in a televised, well regarded political Q&A, one would expect that you would make somewhat of an effort with your presentation. Male guests don jackets and shirts, often with a tie, and token female guests - all highly intellectual with integrity and impressive achievements in media and/or politics, but generally ignored for the majority of the programme - dress demurely in blouses or blazers.
The aforementioned Mr Rundle - "commentator" - chose to let it all hang out in a very classy ensemble consisting of shitty, faded black t-shirt set off nicely with a hideously sculpted short black beard.
Well, he certainly has shown us! By choosing such fabulously casual attire, he MUST be a moody, creative intellectual who ignores conventional standards!
No, Guy. You just look like a fat tryhard who wandered in off the street. Someone I would avoid standing next to at the bus stop.
Perhaps you should head on over to the Gruen Transfer where you can mingle with similarly "individual" "commentators", well-paid enough to buy the best homeless couture, and painstakingly desperate to appear smart, worldly & modern.
Maybe just avoid television altogether.. you have a very good face for radio (ouch!).
No comments:
Post a Comment